Our 114 Year History And Counting!
Family owned & operated dealership since 1902
Weber Implement Co. was founded by George Weber in 1902 on Main Street, which is about where the Gateway Arch is now. The company supplied equipment to farmers in Missouri, Illinois, and Arkansas.
WEBER STARTS SELLING AUTOMOBILES
Weber Implement Co. becomes Weber Implement and Automobile Company – The firm added automobiles to its lines as buggies and wagons were phasing out.
AUTODEALERSHIPS ARE BORN
George Weber Jr. joins his father full time at the firm – The Webers sold and distributed the cars, provided parts for repairs and warranty guaranties. They still kept the farm implement business in order to service and repair what had been sold earlier.
At that time, there were some 300 different manufacturers and Locust Street was to become known as “automobile row” or the main area to shop for a car. The Weber firm became a distributor for Hupp Motor Co. and appointed dealers for the Huppmobile over a 150 mile radius. Many of these new dealerships were service stations that took on the automobile. The Weber firm was one of the first to accept “trade-ins” when someone wanted a newer model.
CHRYSLER CORPORATION APPOINTS WEBER AS A DISTRIBUTOR & WWII HALTS CAR SELLS
In 1930, the Chrysler Corporation appointed Weber as distributor for Plymouth and DeSoto automobiles. In 1938, the Weber firm moves to 4035 Lindell Blvd. at the corner of Sara Street – During World War II, all automobile production stopped, and gasoline rationing was imposed. Weber continued to service automobiles and converted the showroom into a die casting plant for airplane parts. Auto production resumed in late 1945 and in 1946 Weber was back selling cars.
This is an ad from the mid 1950s, a very successful ad campaign in its time.
Business flourished and the firm moved to a 12 acre site on Olive Boulevard at Interstate 270 in 1969. In 1989, George Weber Chevrolet Company was added in Columbia, IL, and relocated to a new 15-acre site beside Interstate 255 in 1992.
Weber Granite City Chevrolet was added on Illinois Rt. 3 just south of Interstate 270.
FIRST CHEVROLET VOLT SOLD IN REGION
In October of 2011 Weber Chevrolet – Creve Coeur delivered its first Chevy Volt, the first Electric car delivered by Weber Chevrolet and quite possibly the first in the region.
FAMILY OF DEALERSHIPS – SERVING ST. LOUIS
In our 112th year of business, 2015, the Webers and all of the 332 employees wish to thank the people of St. Louis for their loyalty and business over the past century.
Our thanks go out to everyone whom we have worked with on this 100-year journey, as we embark on the second 100 years.